Bircher muesli is a delicious, refreshing alternative to porridge, wonderfully filling and packed with goodness to sustain you well into lunchtime. This recipe is just a guide - you can easily customize the recipe with your favourite fruit or nuts and change things up with poached seasonal fruit.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut or sunflower seeds (both if you wish)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup orange or apple juice
- 1/4 cup dried raisins or any diced dried fruit of choice
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted*
- 2 Granny Smith or Pink Lady apples, unpeeled, coursely grated
- 1 cup natural yoghurt + 1 Tbs of lemon juice mixed into it
- 1 cup fresh berries
- 4 tsp honey
- 4 pinches of cinnamon (optional)
In a medium mixing bowl combine oats, coconut or sunflower seeds and juice of choice. Mix, cover and leave overnight in fridge. When ready to serve, divide all ingredients into 4 bowls and let your guests do the mixing!