- ½ cup barley flakes
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup apple juice, heated
- ¼ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- ⅓ cup chopped dried pineapple
- ⅓ cup sultanas
- ¼ cup chopped dried mango
- ¼ cup currants
- ⅓ cup chopped dates
- ½ cup chopped macadamias (or any other nut)
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 60 g margarine
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 30- x 20-cm (base) lamington pan. Line with baking paper.
- Place barley flakes in a heatproof bowl and pour warm apple juice over barley. Leave to stand while you chop up the dried fruit and macadamias.
- In a large bowl mix together oats, flour, barley, dried fruit, macadamias and seeds.
- In a small saucepan melt margarine with honey over a low heat. Cool a little, add vanilla extract and egg and stir to combine.
- Pour margarine mixture over oat mixture and mix very well. Press mixture into prepared pan and cook for 25 to 30 minutes until lightly golden. Slice into squares and leave in pan to cool.
*Tip: you can substitute the tropical fruit for any dried fruit of your choice.