Guidelines for healthy eating
Read Cancer Council's Guidelines for Healthy Eating to find out how you can reduce your cancer risk.Read more
- 2 cups self raising flour
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 very ripe bananas, peeled, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Finely grated rind 1 orange
- 2 tblsp vegetable or light olive oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven 170°C. Grease and line a 8cm x 25cm (base) loaf pan allowing overhand at both long ends.
- Sift the flours, baking powder and nutmeg together into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar. Combine bananas, eggs, buttermilk, orange rind and oil in a jug and whisk well to combine then pour into the flour mixture. Stir gently to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Scatter the blueberries over the top and poke them into the mixture.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean, if the top starts to brown too much cover loosely with foil after 40 minutes.
- Set aside to cool in pan for 15 minutes. Lift onto a wire rack to cool. Slice and serve. It’s delicious warm, cold or toasted under a hot grill.