Guidelines for healthy eating
Read Cancer Council's Guidelines for Healthy Eating to find out how you can reduce your cancer risk.Read more
- 500g plain flour
- 30g baking powder
- 125g caster sugar
- pinch salt
- 125g unsalted butter
- 200ml buttermilk
- 1 Orange, fine zest
- 175g dates, pitted, chopped flesh
- 85 dark chocolate
- egg wash - 1 egg/plash of milk/ pinch salt
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together into a mixing bowl and add the sugar and salt.
- Using your fingertips or the paddle of an electric mixer, crumb the ingredients until you have a light sandy texture.
- Add the buttermilk, dates, orange zest and the chocolate; continue to knead until the dough has been formed. Cover the dough in a bowl with cling-film and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin and a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to 3cm thick and cut out the scones using a 50mm round cutter. Repeat this process twice with the trimmings. Discard any left over trimmings.
- Place the scones on a baking tray lined with silicone paper or baking paper.
- Using a pastry brush, glaze the tops of the scones neatly with the egg wash. Bake at 180°C for approx 12-15 minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving.