Guidelines for healthy eating
Read Cancer Council's Guidelines for Healthy Eating to find out how you can reduce your cancer risk.Read more
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup (185g) caster sugar
- Grated rind and juice one medium orange
- ¾ cup (180mls) olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 2 cups (300g) gluten free self-raising flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (100g) walnuts, chopped
- 1½ cups (330g) pure icing sugar or gluten-free icing sugar mixture
- Finely grated zest of one medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons (40mls) lemon juice
- 20g butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (100g) sunflower, pumpkin seeds and pine nut mix, toasted
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease the base and sides of a deep 33×24 baking pan, line base and short sides with a sheet of baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat eggs in a medium bowl until thick and creamy, gradually add sugar, and beat well after each addition.
- Add the rind and juice, beat until well combined. Slowly add the olive oil, beating until well combined and mixture is thick and creamy. This should take about 3 minutes.
- Gently fold in carrot, zucchini, flour, cinnamon and walnuts. Pour cake mixture into pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- For Lemon Icing; Sift icing sugar into a bowl, add zest, then blend in lemon juice and butter with a spoon, mix well. Heat uncovered for 40-45 seconds in the microwave (or over a bowl of hot water), stir until smooth and shiny.
- Pour icing over cake, spreading roughly with a spatula and garnish with the sunflower seed mix.
Lyndey’s note: Use a fruity extra virgin olive oil for a more distinct flavour in this moist cake.