Guidelines for healthy eating
Read Cancer Council's Guidelines for Healthy Eating to find out how you can reduce your cancer risk.Read more
- 2 navel oranges (about 22g each) washed, ends trimmed
- 185g butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 ¼ cups self raising flour
- For the orange icing:
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 tblsp orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan forced/170°C no fan. Lightly grease a mini muffin 24 cup pan.
- Cut the oranges in quarters and remove any seeds and the thick centre core if there is any, then roughly chop. Place the orange, skin and all into the processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Add the butter, caster sugar and vanilla, pulse until combined (don’t worry if mixture looks curdled). Add the eggs, pulse to combine. Remove to a bowl, fold through the flour until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in the pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack.
- For the drizzly orange icing, working quickly, combine the white sugar and orange juice in a bowl then quickly spoon a small amount over the warm cakes. Set aside cool.
- Navel oranges are perfect for this recipe as they have minimal pith and usually no seeds. The weight is important to the recipe’s success.