Guidelines for healthy eating
Read Cancer Council's Guidelines for Healthy Eating to find out how you can reduce your cancer risk.Read more
- 2 cups of self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- ½ cup of caster sugar
- 1 cup of sultanas or raisins
- 6 tablespoons of ovaltine
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- Tablespoon of golden syrup
- Combine the golden syrup and milk together.
- So the golden syrup doesn’t stick to the spoon spray it with a little bit of oil (never dip the oil spoon into the golden syrup).
- Give them a stir and pop into the microwave oven for about a minute just so the milk warms through and the golden syrup dissolves.
- Whilst that’s warming add a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda to flour and sift these two together.
- Once that’s done, add the caster sugar and the ovaltine. Give it a stir.
- Now add the milk (check its warm, you don’t want it too hot) give it a stir so the golden syrup dissolves.
- Pour the milk in (be gentle).
- As you stir you can see the warm milk reacting with the bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix until nice and thick.
- Add fruit (you can use sultanas, raisins, chopped dates.
- Pour the mix into a loaf pan.
- Spread nice and gently.
- Put into the oven at 180°Cwithout the fan on for 50- 60 minutes until you test with a skewer that comes out clean.