Guidelines for healthy eating
Read Cancer Council's Guidelines for Healthy Eating to find out how you can reduce your cancer risk.Read more
- 3/4 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra, to serve
- 2 eggs
- 100g extra light ricotta, plus extra to serve
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp honey
- spray oil, for cooking
- 6 figs, quartered, to serve
- honey, for drizzling, to serve
- Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon together into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and ricotta together until smooth. Whisk in buttermilk and honey, then combine with dry ingredients.
- Heat a heavy based non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Lightly grease the pan using the spray oil. Add ¼ cup of batter and cook until golden brown on the underside, 1-2 minutes. Turn over and cook until just cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Stack up pikelets on serving plates. Top with a spoonful of ricotta, a sprinkle of cinnamon, a generous pile of figs and finish with a drizzle of honey.
This recipe is super simple and healthy. Both buttermilk and ricotta are very low in fat, and the combination of cinnamon, honey and seasonal figs means the dish is packed full of flavour.