Spiced apple and blueberry crumble friands
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups (240g) pure icing sugar, sifted, plus extra to serve if liked
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 200g salted butter, melted and cooled for 10 minutes
- 1 medium red apple, cored, diced small (5mm)
- 125g blueberries
- 15g unsalted butter, chilled 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbsp quick oats
- 1/2 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Grease a 12 hole (1/2 cup capacity) oval friand tray.
- To make crumble, use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour, sugar and cinnamon until a fine breadcrumb consistency in a small bowl. Mix the oats and water through the crumble and set aside.
- Whisk egg whites for 10 seconds to loosen in a medium bowl. Add icing sugar, almond meal and flour and whisk until just combined. Add butter, half the apple and half the blueberries and mix through. Divide batter between moulds, top with crumble and remaining fruit.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Dust lightly with extra icing sugar if liked.
TIP – Friands can be made up to three days in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
TIP – If you don't have a friand tray, you can use a standard (1/3 cup capacity) muffin tray.