Skip to main content
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup (185ml) buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- 3 pears, peeled, cored and cut into 2cm dice
- ⅓ cup (80ml) caramelised verjuice
- crème fraiche or thick cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line the base of a 22cm spring form tin.
- In a large jug whisk eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla together until well blended. Combine self-raising flour and caster sugar in a large bowl. Pour wet mixture over dry and fold gently until just mixed. Stir through pears.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for one hour or until the cake is cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, warm caramelised verjuice in a small saucepan over low heat or in the microwave and pour over cooled cake. Serve slices with crème fraiche or thick cream.